Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Memories of Singapore




As I write this post a good friend is about to head to Singapore and she's promised me a post or two.

In the meantime her pending journey has brought back memories of my trip to Singapore.

It was just after Christmas 1999 and it was there that I learned how good peppered crab can be. Eaten at a plastic picnic table in an open air market with the tropical night settled warm and balmy around you and a cold beer to wash it all down.

It was the first place I had seen women carry an umbrella to keep the tropical sun from their face or people queue up in precise lines as they waited for a cab. Despite the sign instructing the lineup - in Saskatchewan, that just wouldn't happen.

Singapore was exotic with orchid gardens and "a" boa constrictor, it was orderly, and as one of the few city-states - it was fascinating.

Without travel there'd be no spice.


What are your travel memories?




No comments: