Pages

Friday, January 23, 2009

Endings


It should be satisfying to finish a book, even a celebration if you wrote it. And it is - when you finally get to that very last word. But as the last chapter opens on two books, I know I don't want to finish either the book I'm reading or the one I'm writing. The characters have become like old friends in worlds that seems to me to be almost as real as, well - the real world.









Beijing, China



So now that both books are almost over, I find myself dodging endings. Maybe that's because I'm not sure what's going to come next.


Which in that stack of TBR's do I pick up? Which idea do I run with in the next story I write? The possibilities seem to stretch endlessly.

Reading or writing - do you finish books reluctantly?

Ryshia








5 comments:

Teresa said...

Absolutely!! I don't want to finish things that I really like - case in point: about ten years ago a soap opera called "Another World" finished airing on tv. I was an avid daily watcher. I still have the last three days on tape, and still haven't watched them. I can't bring myself to do it. (I know, I know..."get over it") On the other hand, that is why I enjoy a series of books - it doesn't really end then, does it? I like to go on in the story, yet live in the flashbacks and say "Wow! I remember that!" I get a deeper sense of connection then.

Ryshia Kennie said...

You never revealed the Another World addiction. I too was an Another World fan - I haven't watched a soap opera since.

Teresa said...

Me neither!! Awesome!! One day I'll have to show you my Another World signed book, and my great "meet and greet" with Jake himself! I even made the paper! I can't believe we never discussed this before...

Dog_geek said...

Reading a good book is like eating a decadent dessert. I can't stop myself from eating the whole thing, (or even pacing myself, really) but I miss it terribly as soon as it is gone.

Ryshia Kennie said...

A decadent dessert - I like that. And it's so true especially when you get your hands on a keeper.