Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Snow at Night


I was reading an incredible story the other day when I stopped dead. The story came to a screeching halt. It was rather like I'd stubbed my toe in the midst of a beautiful walk. There it was staring up at me - the glitch. The heroine was running through the snow at night and it was so dark she couldn't see anything.
If you're from snow country you know that once that first blanket of snow arrives and fully covers everything it is never totally dark again. At least not when there's a town or city within a few miles. Snow reflects light from anything and everything including the night sky. In this instance there was a town nearby.
Note to self - don't skim on the research on anything, not just writing. Take the exercise ball. Apparently there is a correct way for sitting on the ball and a length of time that it should be sat on, at least initially. Just ask my massage therapist. She gave me all the details as she worked my shoulder back into what might resemble a normal position.



Fir trees and a snowbank in the dark, no light nearby.




Ryshia

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dark in the snow? Yeah, that would've stopped this former NYer, too. Even if you're deep in the woods and there isn't any moonlight to light your way, the snow is probably the next best thing.

As much as I hate research, it's a small price to pay to get the story right.

Ryshia Kennie said...

I think you realize more from a reader end than a writer how important research is. Because that one really tripped me. But on the prairie - we know snow.

NY - envious.

Teresa said...

I like the way the light from the moon makes the snow sparkle on a windless and quiet winter night. You know the kind of night - when the crunching sound of someone walking in the snow is the loudest sound you hear. Too bad it's too cold to even GO outside!