Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

You Want Me To Wear What!?

I gave up dance at the age of seven for good reason.  I mean really who wants to go around in a pink leotard with rabbit ears on their head.  I don't care now if you're only seven and I didn't care then.  Of course then my reason for quitting dance had nothing to do with the slightly off the wall costume and more to do with my belief that I was a tap dancer not a baton twirler.  I quit right after I learned that twirling with my left hand, well it, like the bunny suit, just wasn't happening.  So that was it for me and dance lessons until just a few days ago. 



After emerging from over a month of revisions on two stories I was invited by a friend to participate in a Zumba class.  Exercise sounded like a good thing so I washed up my walking runners, making them fit for indoor use and headed off.  Note to self:  dry runners thoroughly before putting them on feet.  So with slightly damp runners, an off-the-shelf bottle of water rather than a thermo-lined container of water, and dress that screamed I was not a regular - ancient yoga pants and a souvenir t-shirt from the Great Wall of China, I lined up with the others curious to see what this was all about.

The music started - yes music!  This was dance, dance with a latin flavour.  Okay, A) latin music wasn't covered in bunny hop baton 101.  B) did I mention I quit dance all those years ago?  Not that I can't dance, I can.  I danced my way through the nightclub phase of my early twenties and even through an Octoberfest or two.  I'm just not saying how well I danced my way through these events - passable I'll say, no one was going to throw me off the dance floor but Fred Astaire, even if he were still around, wasn't going to come calling. 

So gamely I sashayed left and sashayed right, left then right then forward and back, right then left - no wait - wasn't that right or maybe that was forward or...  I struggle for a few seconds to orientate myself, or maybe just to get a break.  I'm hot and thirsty - this is hard work!  On the upside I'm keeping up, in my own transposed version of what the instructor is demonstrating.  And you know - perfectionism aside - it was fun!

So I'm back to my office space and it's fantastic.  I can't believe all the hard work that went into making that "junked up space" into a real office.   It's a little barren right now but it's new and fresh and ready to go.  Without decor of any kind, it's not perfect but like the stories still waiting further revisions and getting into shape with the exercise class -  it's all a work in progress.

But all the inspiration you'll ever need isn't in a pair of new runners (even hot pink or lime with a swizzle stick) or in the most beautiful office space in the world.  The motivation is inside you. 

What's motivated you lately?

Ryshia
www.ryshiakennie.com




4 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad to see you have a new office! And everyone can dance if they want to enough! Lisa
www.lisamcmanuslange.blogspot.com

Ryshia Kennie said...

I love your new office - and I may just head over and dance there :)

Teresa said...

The new office is inspirational! It'll be nice to get writing in a place that can be set up and left up - I like the neutral colours too!

Ryshia Kennie said...

I love it except I've gotten lazy - there's something about dragging the laptop to the couch in the morning with my coffee that kind of appeals to me. Seriously, it'll be great to stop tripping over my office stacked in various corners of the house.